• gspencer16

Day 11 - sick on trail is no fun (20.3 miles)

May 20, 2021

Miles: 20.3 miles

Steps: 44,420

Well had some stomach issues all night but still managed to get on trail at my normal time. I figured I had a lot of road walking to get back to the CDT from Gila Alternate.

Had about a mile of gravel road that turned off onto a kind of trail, was hard to see. Then followed this canyon all the way to a peak of wide open fields which brought me to a dirt road heading into the woods.

Aright around 10am I decided to take a break, that’s when I really started to feel bad. I was running low on water and wanted to get to the next water source as soon as I could as it was starting to get warm. I stood up and felt real nauseas so sat back down for another 10 minutes. I felt a little better but not great so I traveled the 7.7 miles down the gravel road. Luckily I had shade at times.

As I was walking I kept hoping someone would drive by and give me something to drink. I knew that wasn’t likely as I was on a less travel road. To my surprise I hear a car coming up but no luck, they kept driving. This happened 2 more times and each time I thought they would stop.

Around 1pm I finally get to the water source, a cow trough which looked pretty clear. So I sat down for a minute to catch my breath, this is when the nauseas came back and just laid there for 30 minutes. Not feeling any better, got the strength to filter water. Then slowly walked about half a mile to some trees with shade.

By now it’s about 2pm and I hadn’t eat much and had no apatite so tried to get some rest thinking I would feel better after an hour of 2 of sleep. However that was not the case. By 6:30pm I knew I wasn’t going anywhere but it had been so windy, 30-40 mph, that setting up my tent would be hard plus it was a rocky area. At this point I tried to eat something but I ended up throwing it up along with a bunch of water.

After throwing up I felt better so decided to walk down the road for a place to camp. There were no good ones as I ended up walking 1.5 miles from where I had camped all afternoon.

By now I was tired and set up my tent as fast as I could and went straight to bed, glad that day was over.

47 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All